Caravan and camping site licence
To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the local authority. Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:
- restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
- controlling the types of caravans on the site
- controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
- to ensure steps are taken to enhance the land, including planting or replanting bushes and trees
- fire safety and fire fighting controls
- to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained
The conditions that apply will depend upon the type of site eg residential, holiday static, holiday tourers.
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.
To be able to apply for the licence you need to:
- be entitled to use the land as a caravan site to be able to apply for the licence
- have planning permission before a licence can be issued
There is no fee for caravan and camping site licence application.
If you wish to apply for a mobile home site licence the fees are as follows:
|Number of units||New licence||Renewal or further application|
|2 - 10 units||£405||£343|
|More than 10 units||£631||£479|
How to apply
You can apply for caravan and camping site licence in paper or online.
We will need you to provide supporting documentation when submitting your application before it can be deemed to be a valid application.
Supporting documentation includes:
- site plan
- layout plan
- copy of the planning permission
- information stating how each licence condition will be met
View Environmental Health licensing privacy notice (PDF 432KB).
Apply in paper
To apply in paper fill in our caravan and camping site application form (PDF 28.9KB). Please send completed submissions to Environmental Health.
To apply for a mobile home site fill in our mobile home site licence application form (PDF 243KB).
You can apply for caravan and camping site licence online on GOV.UK website:
- Apply to run a caravan site
- Tell us about a change to your existing caravan or camp site
- Apply to transfer a caravan and camping site licence
Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.
Once the application, together with all supporting documentation, has been received we will acknowledge receipt within 1 week and you should have a response from us on the application within two months being the target completion period.
If you have not heard from us within the target completion period, please contact us using the contact details below.
Tacit consent will apply for this licence. This means that where the application and all supporting documentation has been submitted electronically or by post and you can show proof of delivery either by way of an electronic receipt or from a post office or recognised courier, as the case may be, you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. This period can be extended once if necessary due to the complexity of the issue provided we notify you of the extension and its duration before the expiry of the original target completion period.
If your application is refused you can appeal to the local Sheriff. Please contact us before you lodge an appeal.
Licence holder redress
We may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Sheriff Court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local authority.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Telephone: 01467 539039
- British Holiday and Home Parks Association
- NCC Training Academy
- Federation of Tour Operators (FTO)
- Group Travel Organisers Association (GTOA)
- National Caravan Council (NCC)
- Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960
- Association of Caravan and Camping Exempted Organisations (ACCEO)
- Appeals and objections to a licence application
- Hotel Marketing Association