Huntly Flood Protection Scheme
Why is the Scheme Needed?
Major flooding events over the last century have significantly impacted local residences and businesses within the Meadow's Park Area of Huntly.
- Site establishment works have commenced on site 18/10/2016. The works have a completion date of July 2017.
- Wills Bros Civil Engineering Ltd have won the tender to deliver the £3.5million scheme, designed to reduce the risk of flooding to the Meadows area of Huntly and to the A920, Huntly to Dufftown Road.
- Flood Risk Response Strategy (PDF 545KB) has been established which ensures the smooth evacuation and care of vulnerable persons living within the likely flood areas in Huntly. Additionally steps have been taken to reduce the risk of flooding occurring and, if it does happen, to reduce the effects of flooding.
- Earth Bunds have been constructed at Milton and the Meadows upon recommendation from an options appraisal report carried out by Mouchel (Halcrow) in 2005 (Report identified Below).
- Planning Permission for the scheme (APP/2012/0178)
- Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009 Application, Public Hearing 18/02/2015. An independent reporter has reported their findings.
- Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009 Approval. Approval of findings by Marr Area Committee 05/05/2015. Marr Area Committee Meeting 05/05/2015 (PDF 256KB)
Engaging the community
Working together with Atkins we have arranged various information evenings to acknowledge the concerns of the community and to inform the community of the options and decisions available.
- Atkins Design and Public Consultation Leaflet (PDF 6MB)
- Planning Application Public Viewing notice (PDF 1.05MB)
- Flood Order Files Public Viewing notice (PDF 123KB)
- Public Hearing notice (PDF 16KB)
The scheme selection process
The selection of the preferred scheme arose from an options appraisal process of flood storage capacity carried out by our conceptual design contractor Mouchel and subsequently our design and construction contractor Atkins. Community and stakeholder input was also sought on the selection of the option.
- Initial 2005 Halcrow Flood Study Report (PDF 30MB)
- Latest 2010 Halcrow Flood Study Report (PDF 6.48MB)
- Atkins 2013 Summary Appraisal Report (PDF 734KB)
A Flood Order is a statutory instrument that can be enacted under Part 4 of the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009 to enable local authorities to seek permission from government to implement flood risk schemes/ projects to high flood risk areas.
Scottish Ministers have granted us permission to hold a public hearing where an impartial reporter will analyse any objections made and submit their findings for further analysis.
Flood order reports
- Flood Order Statement (PDF 66KB)
- Scheme Extents Drawing (PDF 364KB)
- Geomorphology & Water Framework Directive Assessment (PDF 12.9MB)
- Landscape and Visual Assessment (PDF 12.5MB)
- Ecological Assessment (PDF 14MB)
- Environmental Impact - Scoping Opinion (PDF 110KB)
- SEPA Controlled Activities Regulations License (PDF 6.4MB)
- Archaeological Desk Based Assessment (PDF 10.2MB)
- Noise Assessment (PDF 6.1MB)
- Huntly Drawings and Plans (Planning Application for Scheme)
The Meadow's Footbridge
The footbridge is to be constructed with the main scheme.
If you have any queries in general about this scheme or about the flood protection services we provide please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org