Private water supply grants
The Private Water Supplies (Grants)(Scotland) Regulations 2006 allow grants to be made to improve private water supplies.
The basic grant scheme is non-means tested and provides financial assistance of up to £800.
The scheme is available to domestic, commercial and public premises but is not available in the following circumstances:
- any public body or office-holder (excluding a person who, or body which, only from time to time functions of a public character);
- any person erecting or causing to be erected a building which the provisions of Section 63 of the Water (Scotland) Act 1980 apply;
- premises which are the subject of:
- a Closing Order under Section 114 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987;
- a Demolition Order under Section 115 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987; or
- a Dangerous Building Notice in terms of Section 30 of the Building (Scotland) Act 2003.
- premises which comprise a dangerous building within the meaning of Section 29 of the Building (Scotland) Act 2003;
- empty or unoccupied premises; or
- premises which do not meet the tolerable standard provided for in Section 80 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987, as amended except in so far as that tolerable standard is not met in relation to an adequate piped supply of wholesome water.
To be considered for a grant you must meet one of the following criteria:
- you are in receipt of a temporary departure issued by Aberdeenshire Council under the Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006;
- you have a risk assessment completed by Aberdeenshire Council under the Regulations; or
- Aberdeenshire Council has served you with an "Improvement Notice" under the Water (Scotland) Act 1980.
Additional Grant in Cases of Hardship
For applications for domestic premises, additional assistance over and above the £800 basic grant is available at a rate of 50% of all costs for essential works in excess of £1200.
Depending on the applicants financial circumstances further assistance may be available subject to an assessment of the applicants means.
Details of the information required for this assessment can be found on the attached form.
Applicants in receipt of certain specified benefits may be entitled to 100% of all costs of essential works.
For further information and/or to express an interest in a grant complete the form below or contact 01467 539539.
Expression of interest in a Private Water Supply Grant
View Environmental Health privacy notices.
Connecting to the Mains
If you no longer want to use your private supply contact Scottish Water on 0800 389 0379 or 080000 778 778 about the possibility of connecting to the public supply, also called "mains".