Student Council Tax discount

To qualify for a Council Tax discount as a student, you must either:

  • study for 6 months for 21 hours per week in each academic year
  • be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council
  • be under 20 years old and be studying for a non-advanced course for at least 12 hours a week for three months (non-advanced courses include A levels, Highers, and Level 3 SVQs)

Amount of discount

We can offer two types of student discounts:

  • 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
  • 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.

How to apply

We will need you to provide evidence that you are a student. You don't have to do that if you study at:

  • North East Scotland College
  • Aberdeen University
  • Robert Gordon University

We have a data sharing agreement with these establishments and we can verify your student status without the requirement for further evidence.

If you don't study at any of these 3 establishments please provide a certificate or letter from your college or university to confirm:

  • you are a full time student
  • start and end date of your course
  • the course you are studying

You have 21 days to return the evidence for the application to proceed.

Your discount will end when your course ends. This will normally be before your graduation date.

Apply for student Council Tax discount or exemption

View Council Tax privacy notice (pdf 152KB).

Help us improve